April 5, 2017
Alcohol almost cost me my life. Today I'm an advocate for my community.
I nearly died from alcohol poisoning when I was seventeen. It was the bottom-shelf, plastic-bottle vodka from a liquor store in Portsmouth, the kind we see discarded in alleys and not recycling bins. I was hospitalized and intubated. The nurses accidentally ruptured and paralyzed my vocal cord, leaving me whispering for the next nine years....
Read More
A Mother Shares Her Anguish
A friend accidentally sent me a text message meant for someone else: “Hi. Here with a friend who just lost her son.” Then: “Oops.” Although the text wasn’t meant for me, it was about me. I am that friend who just lost her son. I am the woman with that sobriquet of sorrow that seems...
Read More