The Yale Program in Addiction Medicine, with generous support from the Sandgaard Foundation, will host “Finding Solutions to the Opioid Crisis,” a free web-based speaker series launching in late June 2021. The series will bring together a diverse line-up of experts from across the United States to discuss priority issues in addiction treatment and recovery.
The first event in this series, “Principles for the Use of Funds from the Opioid Litigation” will be held on June 29, 2021 from 12 – 1:30 p.m, with guest speaker, Joshua M. Sharfstein, MD, Vice Dean for Public Health Practice and Community Engagement, Director of the Bloomberg American Health Initiative, and Professor of the Practice in Health Policy and Management at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
While speakers in this series continue to be confirmed, forthcoming events include:
- “Drug Decriminalization and a Public Health Approach to Drug Policy” with Maritza Perez, JD, Director of National Affairs, Drug Policy Alliance | July 13, 2021, 12 – 1:30 p.m.
- “What Becoming a Patient Taught Me About America’s Opioid Problem” with Travis Rieder, PhD, Author of In Pain: A Bioethicist’s Personal Struggle with Opioids, Assistant Director of Educational Initiatives and Director of the Masters in Bioethics Program, Johns Hopkins Berman Institute for Bioethics | September 21, 2021, 12 – 1:30 p.m.
- “Stigma & Substance Use Disorder: The Silent Killer,” with Gary Mendell, Founder and CEO of Shatterproof | October 26, 2021, 12 – 1:30 p.m.
- “We are the Answer to Ending America’s Addiction Crisis,” with Ryan Hampton, Founder of the Voices Project and Mobilize Recovery | November 2, 2021, 12 – 1:30 p.m.
- “Emergency Department-based Treatment and Harm Reduction Interventions” with Edouard Coupet II, MD, MS, Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine and Drug Use, Addiction and HIV Scholar at Yale School of Medicine, and Donald Stader III, MD, FACEP, Chair, Colorado Naloxone Project | Date and event page forthcoming
- Patrick Raden Keefe, Author of Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty and Alex Gibney, Writer, Director and Producer of The Crime of the Century, recently aired on HBO | Presentation title, date, and event page forthcoming
To learn more about the Finding Solutions speaker series and to register for one of the events in this series, visit the series webpage. Information and updates will also be shared by the Yale Program in Addiction Medicine and the Sandgaard Foundation on Twitter @YaleADM and @SandgaardFnd.
The Yale Program in Addiction Medicine seeks to expand access to and improve the effectiveness of prevention and treatment services for substance use. For more on their work, visit Yale Program in Addiction Medicine.
The Sandgaard Foundation seeks to address the opioid epidemic by helping fund initiatives that save lives from opioid overdose, help prevent return to use, and support people with opioid and other substance use disorders and their families. For more on their work, visit Sandgaard Foundation.